Re: [opensuse] Timesync problem
  • From: "Geir A. Myrestrand" <geir.myrestrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:04:04 -0500
Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
Hi list,

- I've read and searched and read and searched all vmware docs and more...and still, I take the liberty to ask this list. Its got a little to do with SuSE10.2, so please forgive me...

- I'm running SLES10 as a host OS onto which I'm running a number of SuSE10.2s using vmware server. My time in the quests is way off. I set it using ntpdate -s on the clients. Then I initiate ntpd on the client. Or not, no difference. The time in my clients lacks behing by several hours/day.
- I'm currently trying a real dirty hack...on the client I'm running a cronjob every 10 minutes, doing a ntpdate -s -b IP-OF-TIMESERVER. I tried that hack by running the cronjob every 30 minutes, - but that didn't work...

- any hints?

Have a look at http://www.ntp.org.
Or install package xntp / xntp-doc and read the documentation.

You want to use a pool of time servers (preferably in a region near your machine), and then run the ntp service. ntpdate is the manual time sync tool.

It is configurable though YaST (from SLP 9.3):
Yast2 > Network Services > NTP Client.

--

Geir A. Myrestrand