Re: [opensuse] DVD Mount problem
  • From: James Watkins <misterwatto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:28:29 +0000
On Sunday 14 January 2007 13:08, russbucket wrote:

> Does anyone know what creates the mount point in /media. YaST is able to
> read the dvd drive, hal sees the drive and it looks described correctly.

I believe the media manager kde service is responsible for this. Check that
it is enabled by going to Control Centre -> KDE Components -> Service Manager
and make sure that KDED Media Manager and Media Notifier Daemon are both
checked. As far as I understand it, these 'services' are actually provided
by a super-daemon called kded so it might be worth checking that it is
running with:

ps aux | grep kded

Having said all this, your services should be ok if your cd drive gets
auto-mounted correctly.
As far as icons are concerned, you can add the Media Control applet to your
panel or have them appear Apple-style on your desktop using the Control
Centre -> Desktop -> Behaviour, Device Icons tab as previously discussed.
The only other thing I can think of is that someone may have chosen the 'Do
Nothing' action and enabled it as the default. To undo this, go to Control
Centre -> Peripherals -> Storage Media. Select the relevant media types in
turn (Mounted DVD, Blank DVD, etc.) and check that there are no auto-actions
associated with them. Sorry if this sounds a bit patronising but these
things happen sometimes, it took me ages to find out how to undo default
auto-actions. One last thing I would mention is that I found this auto-mount
mechanism to be a bit intermittent under 10.1, media would quite often fail
to mount when the system was under heavy load, however, I've found it to be
much improved with 10.2.

Good luck,

James.