[opensuse] strange gnome-panel (mis)behavior after upgrade to 10.2: "End" and "Down" button pops up "main menu"
  • From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 09:42:44 +0800
(this message is recent because I didn't receive it from opensuse
mailing list when sent yesterday. Sorry if duplicated posts)

Hello. This is rather strange and keep me puzzled for several weeks.
Several weeks ago I reformatted my harddisk and installed SuSE 10.2 on
it (was using 10.1). The keyboard "Down" key and "End" key no longer
work: when I press the two keys, the main menu of gnome pops up (This
menu is called "Computer" on SuSE 10.2, which is the equivlent of Start
Menu of Windows, you know what I mean.)

First I thought keyboard mapping was incorrect, but running xev on fvwm
shows the signal seems correct:

KeyPress event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 937411, (66,70), root:(737,90),
state 0x10, keycode 116 (keysym 0xff54, Down), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x1200001,
root 0x44, subw 0x0, time 937483, (66,70), root:(737,90),
state 0x10, keycode 116 (keysym 0xff54, Down), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

of course I cannot get reasonable xev output in Gnome becuase if I press
"Down" key the main menu pops up causing xev to lose focus, result is
xev cannot capture that key press event.

The "Down" and "End" key seems to work very well in non-gnome
environment, e.g. fvwm and twm. Also if I launch Gnome application in
fvwm (e.g. Gnome Terminal) I also got the two keys work correctly.

This also happen if I create a new user and try with that new user, so I
think this behivor is not related to any personal setting in Gnome
Control Panel.