Re: [opensuse] DVD Mount problem
  • From: russbucket <russbucket@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:05:34 -0800
On Sunday January 14 2007 14:09, Paul Ollion wrote:
<snip>
> > Does anyone know what creates the mount point in /media. YaST is able to
> > read the dvd drive, hal sees the drive and it looks described correctly.
> >
> > Hope this is not off the topic.
>
> You can use the yast partitioner to add mount points for some media or
> partitions that the automatic install did not regognise.
> I did so with yast for my new 10.2 install I could not access my old SiSE
> 9.3 partition and had to add a mount point which I named /data1 with the
> proper options and now I can mount and access it in the controversed My
> Computer window.
> Here is what yast wrote in /etc/fstab
> /dev/hda3 /data1 reiserfs user,noauto,noacl
> 0 0
>
> For other media you could enter something like :
>

> /dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs
> noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
> /dev/dvd /media/dvd subfs
> noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
>
> Not sure, I am not an expert, but you could try It. Someone correct me if
> I am wrong
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Paul Ollion
> Proud Linux user SuSE 10.2
Paul thanks for the response. I actually found a way to get my archive off the
DVD.
1. booted in Failsafe mode.
2. created directory dvdrecorder in /media (su to root)
3 mounted the DVD. /dev/hdc /media/dvdrecorder Mounts as read only
4 it also created two additional files in /media .hal-mtab, .hal-mtab-lock
5 after it mounted I went to /media/dvdrecorder and did an ls, both archive
files showed up.
6. Copied the archive I needed to my home directory, rebooted to runlevel 5
and started KDAR. This unpacked the archive and allowed me to restore
directories I needed.

Now I just need to figure out how to restore certain email files without
destroying emails I have recieved since starting 10.2. Also hope I can
somehow figure out why runlevel five does not detect a DVD or allow me to
mount it as root.

I'll look at fstab entries tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Russ