Re: [opensuse] different network profiles and /etc/hosts
  • From: Ulf Rasch <list-suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:40:02 +0100
On Friday 12 January 2007 16:10, Andy Harrison wrote:
> I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a good way to do
> this. My laptop is configured for my wired office network and my home
> wireless network. Once I got the nic's configured, suse cleverly
> started automatically figuring out which network I wanted without any
> input from me.
>
> I'm just wondering if I can make it automatically switch host files
> for me, or at least modify the localhost entry. Prior to installing
> suse I would just toggle a commented out entry for local host and run
> my one-line shell script to set up a few ssh tunnels to my office. I
> just modify the localhost entry so that I don't have to reconfigure
> any software like email server settings. So imap.example.com:143 will
> hit my ssh tunnel on 127.0.0.1:143, for example.
>
> I was poking around with scpm. It didn't seem like it could do this
> readily, aside from maybe telling it to run a script where I could
> perhaps cp different /etc/hosts files into place. Not exactly an
> elegant solution, but if that's the only way...
>
> --
> Andy Harrison

We have done it like this. We only allow pop/imap encrypted (port 993, 995).
The DNS in office gives you the IP depending from which side your are coming
(internal/external).
If you can't control that imap server I would try it with your firewall.
The wired device is diferent from the wireless device so you could make a
redirect for the packages to the imap server depending from their origen.
I prefer the first one as it is more transparent and easier to debug.

Ulf