Re: [opensuse] How to Clone a whole disk?
  • From: Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:27:17 -0500
On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 16:08 +0100, Anders Johansson wrote:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> [...]
> >
> > man rsync
>
> rsync can't handle copying a partition table, and it can't handle copying the
> actual file system. It's not a cloning tool

Oddly enough, that one limitation is why I suggested it. The problem
with dd starting at the actual disk beginning, is, as you know, that it
will put the partition info on the new disk. If the new disk happens to
be bigger, or different enough in geometry, then dd isn't a good choice.
I'm not suggesting that rsync is "the way" to do it. I'm suggesting the
OP look into it as a method to use in achieving his goals. I have yet
to copy info from one disk to another, without major differences on the
disks.