Re: [opensuse] How to Clone a whole disk?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:47:55 +0100 (CET)

The Saturday 2007-01-13 at 13:02 +0100, Reinhard Gimbel wrote:

> Bo wrote / schrieb:
>
> > I've just been lurking so far but
> > I would be happy to recieve some help on the topic of how to clone an
> > entire disk (with
> > partitions and diferent filesystems and all) on a dual boot home systen.
> > No servers or anything.
>
> Unix command "dd" (= device dump) is your friend !

Mmmm...

You need both disks to be of equal size for that to work. Everything will
be cloned exactly bit for bit, even if wrong.

There are specific tools out there to clone disks and modifiying sizes and
partitions as needed. One of the most known is Ghost (windows), but
although it handles some linux types, it gives problems. There is a linux
program (cd live?) but I don't recall the name.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.