Re: [opensuse] HP pavilion dv6111 wireless wooes
  • From: Reinhard Gimbel <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 15:58:10 +0100 (MET)
Niels Øtergaard Kjær wrote / schrieb:

> Reinhard Gimbel wrote:
>
>> Hello Verner, hello community !
>
>> Verner Kjærsgaard wrote / schrieb:
>
>>> - perhaps slightly OT...
>>>
>>> - I just fired up a new HP Pavilion dv6111 with an AMD mobile Sempron CPU.
>>> - resized the XP partition and installed OpenSuSE10.2, no sweat. Display is
>>> fine (nVidia), fonts are ok.
>> In the very beginning we had SuSE, since Novell is aboard it is called
>> SUSE and nowadays the guys would like to see openSUSE.
>
>> SCNR
>
>> The standard -- open source -- driver for nvidia graphics chips "nv"
>> does not support 3D graphics by default. If you prefer 3D graphics --
>> not a must -- you might need to install the closed source driver "nvidia".
>
>> More details can be found here:
>
>> <http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA>
>
>>> - wireless, sigh.
>>>
>>> - does anyone know what wifi-hardware is inside the box?
>>> - drivers?
>>> - links?
>> The simple command "hwinfo --wlan" should give you (and us) some useful
>> information.
>
>> The lines containing "vendor:", "device:" and "driver:" are most useful.
>
>> Another command to call could be "lspci -nn".
>
> Hi Reinhard , I think you cut my lines off :

No. I replied directly to Verner's OP. So I didn't cut off your lines ...

> Hi Verner what do you mean by hardware inside the box ? in the
> Pavillion ?

Well, I assume that he doesn't know which hardware is in his box ...

> looks as if Verner wants information on the wifi part ?

Are you refering to my side-note regarding nvidia ? You are not very
precise here ! If your comment refers to my additions to the nvidia
controller you should place your comment in the right place ...

And: What do you think you the command "hwinfo --wlan" delivers ?

> or maybe I'm
> wrong

I don't think so ...
--
Never give up !

Best regards / Gruß, Reinhard.

"Software is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."