Re: [opensuse] repair of a nearly finished install of 10.2
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:29:15 +0100
On Saturday 13 January 2007 14:04, constant@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> After some hardware problems I installed 10.2 again on an empty
> partition.My hardware is at the moment quite shaky and during the final
> steps of theinstallation just before the user should have been made my
> system froze.Reset helped me out.
> My system now does not have a user and stops in konsole. I can
> enter root withpassword and may start Yast but the part where groups and
> users could be madejust stops the machine. A case of reset.
> Would like to repair my machine. Any help is welcome.

Hang completely, meaning you can't even switch to another console? No kernel
panic or oops in the log?

Since the users and groups module only edits a plain text file (unless you
have it set for LDAP or some such, in which case not even that) it sounds a
lot like you have disk corruption, which causes the machine to hang while
trying to read from the broken part.

I would suggest booting to the rescue system and running fsck and/or
badblocks, and perhaps even getting the vendor specific disk diagnosis
utility to test with

I really don't see any other reason why the users and groups module would hang
the machine. It doesn't do anything to the core system

Then again, if you set up your machine to authenticate to a network source
like LDAP, it could be the network card that causes the machine to hang as
well - this could be tested by trying to do anything at all over the network