Re: [opensuse] HP pavilion dv6111 wireless wooes
  • From: Reinhard Gimbel <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 14:09:24 +0100 (MET)
Hello Verner, hello community !

Verner Kjærsgaard wrote / schrieb:

> - perhaps slightly OT...
>
> - I just fired up a new HP Pavilion dv6111 with an AMD mobile Sempron CPU.
> - resized the XP partition and installed OpenSuSE10.2, no sweat. Display is
> fine (nVidia), fonts are ok.

In the very beginning we had SuSE, since Novell is aboard it is called
SUSE and nowadays the guys would like to see openSUSE.

SCNR

The standard -- open source -- driver for nvidia graphics chips "nv"
does not support 3D graphics by default. If you prefer 3D graphics --
not a must -- you might need to install the closed source driver "nvidia".

More details can be found here:

<http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA>

> - wireless, sigh.
>
> - does anyone know what wifi-hardware is inside the box?
> - drivers?
> - links?

The simple command "hwinfo --wlan" should give you (and us) some useful
information.

The lines containing "vendor:", "device:" and "driver:" are most useful.

Another command to call could be "lspci -nn".
--
Never give up !

Best regards / Gruß, Reinhard.

"Software is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."