Re: [opensuse] Re: This is OT, but you guys are gonna love this one!!
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:04:00 +0100
On Saturday 13 January 2007 03:51, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> program, allowing Ken Thompson to access any UNIX system. The scheme
> was so fiendish that if you tried remove the back-door generating code
> from the source code and recompile the compiler, the compiler would
> reintroduce the back door generation into the source code!

Well, the code wasn't in the released source version. The compiler recognised
when it was compiling itself, and inserted the code at the proper place.

If it had been in the released source, there would have been an uproar about
it

btw, if you're googling for it, google the archives of this list. I've
mentioned this hack a few times, along with a link to the speech.