Re: [opensuse] Re: This is OT, but you guys are gonna love this one!!
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 21:54:42 -0500
On 1/11/07, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 11 January 2007 18:39, James Knott wrote:
> George Stoianov wrote:
> >> #1 How can I know that the software that I install is the same as
> >> what the
> >> source is?
> >>
> >> #2 How many of us Linux users would recognized a backdoor if he
> >> saw one?
> >
> > #3 Why the NSA why not some international security body or industry
> > institution?
>
> The NSA is the security body for the U.S. Government.

"The?" As in "only one?"

And "security body?" They're charge is "signals intelligence," i.e.
intelligence derived from intercepting communications, mostly
electronic, both over-the-air and via the Internet and telephone
networks. Naturally, this leads them to extensive cryptanalysis and
cryptographic work.

I don't know if they are the only ones, but NSA conducts the IT
security audits of the other US gov't organizations AIUI. You can
attend one week NSA training program on their methodology. (One of
our people went 4 or 5 years ago.)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer