Re: [opensuse] remove usb disk
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 03:15:02 +0100 (CET)

The Friday 2007-01-12 at 10:12 +0100, Primm wrote:

> > Use sync at the command line before pulling the plug. This causes all
> > buffers to be written to all disks.
> >

> Is the sync the same as the sync on NFS? As in setting async make the network
> run at a reasonable speed?

There is a "sync" mount option (in /etc/fstab) and a sync command.
Related, but not the same. They seem to be different from the one you
mention for nfs, but I suppose it can be though as related in meaning.

async This option allows the NFS server to violate the NFS
protocol and reply to requests before any changes made by
that request have been committed to stable storage (e.g. disc
drive).

Using this option usually improves performance, but at the
cost that an unclean server restart (i.e. a crash) can cause
data to be lost or corrupted.

In releases of nfs-utils upto and including 1.0.0, this
option was the default. In this and future releases, sync is
the default, and async must be explicit requested if needed.
To help make system adminstrators aware of this change,
'exportfs' will issue a warning if neither sync nor async is
specified.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.