Re: [opensuse] Printer Initializing Lockup 10.2
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:28:01 -0500
On Friday 12 January 2007 05:30, Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Jan 11 12:39 Chris (ePortel PC Systems) wrote (shortened):
> > the printer scanned no problem..but wouldn't print anything

> As it did print before I guess that the print queue got disabled
> because of whatever failure which happend in between, see
> http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:CUPS_in_a_Nutshell
> "The Backends"
> I.e. check with
> lpstat -p
> if the queue is "disabled" and if yes, do
> cupsenable <queue-name>
>
> If this doesn't help try to remove the print queue and re-add
> it with YaST.
>
> If this also doesn't help try to remove the print queue with YaST
> and re-add it with "hp-setup".
>

> By the way:
> Since CUPS 1.2 there is the so called "error policy" to define
> what the cupsd should do for a particular queue if its associated
> backend exits with exit code 1 (CUPS_BACKEND_FAILED),
> see the CUPS documentation
> http://localhost:631/help/ref-printers-conf.html
> and
> http://localhost:631/help/man-backend.html
>

> Kind Regards
> Johannes Meixner
> --
> SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5 Mail: jsmeix@xxxxxxx
> 90409 Nuernberg, Germany WWW: http://www.suse.de/

I think there may be some kind of glitch in the CUPS routine, but what, I
couldn't say. I had a HP970Cxi working fine for a week or so, but then there
was a problem reported with an ink cartridge, which I replaced. At that
point, the printer was recognized, but would not print. To make a long story
short, I removed the printer driver, and with the assistance of one of the
kind contributors to this list, I managed to get CUPS to let me install a
password--why that should be necessary for a printer queue, I don't
know--especially since it didn't ask for one the first time--but then I went
thru the YaST install again, and the printer is now--crossed-fingers--working
again. When it's working, BTW, it works well. After previous experience
(on Windows) with an Epson, I am convinced to use HP. The difference is
in the ink delivery. With HP, the nozzles are in the cartridge, and if they
clog up, you throw out the cartridge and buy another. With the Epson, you
throw out the printer and buy another!

--doug