Re: [opensuse] OpenOffice 2.1
  • From: Hans van der Merwe <hvdmerwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:16:16 +0200

On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 00:24 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> Hans van der Merwe wrote:

> >> Certainly turning off anti-aliasing in OO has some effect (you can see
> >> it immediately in the toolbar) but the Tahoma font is still very much
> >> readable and not as you describe (above).
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >
> > Ok unreadable is prop bit harsh - but as you say turning off
> > anti-aliasing in OO and using Tahoma for the menus (like I do for all my
> > other apps) just looks horrible.
> > I see there are others with the same issue:
> > http://en.opensuse.org/Talk:Optimal_Use_of_MS_TrueType_Core_Fonts_for_a_KDE_Desktop_on_SuSE
> > check the last post message.
>

> I have to ask this question otherwise I won't be able to sleep......
>
> *Why* do you find it necessary to turn off anti-aliasing in OO and then
> worry about the Tahoma - and not any other font - not displaying well?
>
> "If it hurts why do it?", as the Actress said to the Bishop.
>
> Why not leave the anti-aliasing on, by default, in OO and have a
> relaxing day?
>
> There has to be reason for all this worrying about Tahoma and OO and
> anti-aliasing but I don't know what it is so please enlighten me :-) .
>
> Cheers.

My whole system uses Tahoma for menus, dialogs, text boxes etc. It
renders beautifully crisp on my 1920x1400 Dell laptop screen. (One thing
MS got right)
Anti-aliasing is only useful if the font is huge or you use a CRT
(IMHO).

And... it was working in 10.0.

Im trying to find a solution here! not be stuck with something I cant
change or dont like (for that I'll revert back to Win)

E-Mail disclaimer:
http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm