[opensuse] different network profiles and /etc/hosts
  • From: "Andy Harrison" <aharrison@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 10:10:23 -0500
I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a good way to do
this. My laptop is configured for my wired office network and my home
wireless network. Once I got the nic's configured, suse cleverly
started automatically figuring out which network I wanted without any
input from me.

I'm just wondering if I can make it automatically switch host files
for me, or at least modify the localhost entry. Prior to installing
suse I would just toggle a commented out entry for local host and run
my one-line shell script to set up a few ssh tunnels to my office. I
just modify the localhost entry so that I don't have to reconfigure
any software like email server settings. So imap.example.com:143 will
hit my ssh tunnel on 127.0.0.1:143, for example.

I was poking around with scpm. It didn't seem like it could do this
readily, aside from maybe telling it to run a script where I could
perhaps cp different /etc/hosts files into place. Not exactly an
elegant solution, but if that's the only way...

--
Andy Harrison