Re: [opensuse] Re: This is OT, but you guys are gonna love this one!!
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:23:03 -0500
On Thursday 11 January 2007 8:59 pm, James Knott wrote:

> > #1 How can I know that the software that I install is the same as what
> > the source is?
>
> Compile from source.

Many years ago Ken Thompson (or maybe it was Dennis Ritchie) gave the ACM
Turing Lecture on, essentially, coding tricks. He showed how it was possible
to booby-trap a compiler using repeated bootstraps in such a way that the
compiler was corrupted, yet its visible source code was clean. Recompiling
the compiler would retain the corruption. And such a corrupted compiler
could do anything, of course.

Paul