Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 +two network cards
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:10:38 -0800
On Thursday 11 January 2007 18:42, James Knott wrote:
> Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > Having said that, there is one small issue with YasT that has been
> > this way for years. It will not let you give different names to the
> > cards. After assigning the system name, it is applied to both
> > cards. So, you need to edit /etc/hosts and give one card (IP
> > address) a different name. That is the only issue I have ever had.
>
> Host names refer to the computer, not the NIC.

If you want to get really precise, DNS names can resolve to one or more
IP addresses, so they need even not refer to a single host.

Here's a typical example:

% host www.google.com
www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com has address 66.102.7.147
www.l.google.com has address 66.102.7.99
www.l.google.com has address 66.102.7.104
www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.
www.google.com is an alias for www.l.google.com.

% host google.com
google.com has address 64.233.167.99
google.com has address 64.233.187.99
google.com has address 72.14.207.99
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp4.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp1.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp2.google.com.
google.com mail is handled by 10 smtp3.google.com.

Here's another:

% host amazon.com
amazon.com has address 72.21.203.1
amazon.com has address 72.21.206.5
amazon.com has address 72.21.210.11
amazon.com mail is handled by 10 smtp-fw-0102.amazon.com.
amazon.com mail is handled by 10 smtp-fw-2102.amazon.com.
amazon.com mail is handled by 10 smtp-fw-6101.amazon.com.

It's also allowed and not uncommon to associate more than one IP address
with a given NIC. And naturally, a given host can have any number of
NICs installed.

Randall Schulz