Re: [opensuse] remove usb disk
  • From: Joseph Loo <jloo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:52:51 -0800
James Knott wrote:
> Primm wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> Under KDE in 10.2 I can 'safely remove' a disk by right clicking upon its
>> icon. Is there a command line version to do the same? In any case what does
>> it actually do? Can't I just pull the plug and walk away with it?
>>

> First, that's only a concern if you've written to it. Also, it's safe,
> if it's been a long time after writing to it.

Generally, under SUSE 10, the USB stick is mounted with sync. You can
just pull it out once the write has been completed. It is also the
reason, writing to the USB stick, is so slow and possibly reducing the
life of the USB stick. This is caused by sync updating the FAT table all
the time. Since the number of writes are limited to the number times,
you could psosibly wear out the FAT area.