Re: [opensuse] This is OT, but you guys are gonna love this one!!
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:48:06 -0500
J Sloan wrote:
> George Stoianov wrote:
>
>>> operating system, and Novell with its SUSE Linux also asked the NSA
>>> what it
>>> thought of their products."
>>>
>> ...Thanks!!! it is good to know Novell is giving a permission to the
>> NSA to install an _official_ backdoor in my Linux system...
>>
> That's quite a leap of logic. And difficult to imagine, since the source
> is available for verification.
>
> Joe

One thing a lot of people are forgetting is that for some government
uses, software *MUST* be certified to a security level.
http://www.dynamoo.com/orange/summary.htm

I remember a few years ago, MS claimed NT met some Orange book security
level. However, in order to do so, it had to be installed on a specific
computer model, with no removable media, network or other outside
connectivity. In short, it was pretty much a useless box, but it got
the security rating.