Re: [opensuse] Creating a swap file
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 16:42:15 -0600
On 2007-01-11 15:57, James D. Parra wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to create a 2 GB swap file after adding more memory to my system,
> however how can I create such file by modifying the command below;

A swap ~file~?? You'd be far better off doing some repartitioning to
create a new swap partition, as you'll then avoid all the overhead of
the filesystem on the partition where the swapfile resides.

That being said,
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/extra-swap bs=1024 count=1024

bs= specifies the blocksize, in bytes, and count= specifies the number
of blocks. You may use multiplicative suffixes to specify each of these,
eg. your line is equivalent to this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/extra-swap bs=1K count=1K

The following byte/count specifications will all create the 2G file you
desire:

bs=2G count=1 (though this will probably hardly be practical)
bs=2M count=1K
bs=2K count=1M

(Note that kB, MB and GB all refer to powers of 1000, not 1024. This is
standard SI nomenclature.)