Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2 +two network cards (partially solved)
  • From: Art Fore <art.fore@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:19:32 +0800
On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 19:45 -0600, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> On 01/10/2007 Art Fore wrote:
> > How does one get two networking cards to go at the same time in Suse
> > Linux 10.2? I have eth0 which is wired network, and eth1 which is
> > Wireless. If I connect to the wireless using network manager, it
> > disconnects the eth0 network, connects to the wireless eth1 for a few
> > seconds, disconnects eth1, then goes back to the eth0.
>
> I have two wired network cards on separate networks. I can switch back
> and forth between them and the connections stay stable. I'm with you I
> would like to know if there is a way to get both active at the same
> time. Something like the old dual line modems.
>
> Do you have some apps configured to use a certain connection? That might
> make the connection change.
>
> --
> (o:]>*HUGGLES*<[:o)
> Billie Walsh
> The three best words in the English Language:
> "I LOVE YOU"
> Pass them on!

No, I am not using any Linux applications that are configured for a
certain connection. I want WinXP under Parallels to access the wired
corporate network, but have Linux access the internet via the wireless
connection that is not connected to the corporate internet proxy. It is
usually much faster and I can get my private email from it where I can't
via the corporate network.

Anyhow, I got them both working. I setup Yast to use traditional
control, then set the eth0 as it was default from the installation. Then
set eth1 DNS servers etc. so DHCP would not update them. Then executed
the command route add gw 192.168.99.1. I could then access the wireless
network via Linux with not change in WinXP.

Only remaining problems are how to get ifplugd to start the wireless at
boot. eth1 was added to the ifplugd.conf file, but probably needs more
time or something. Also have figure out where to put the route command
so it will be executed automatically during boot.

Art