Re: [opensuse] Re: This is OT, but you guys are gonna love this one!!
  • From: Peter Bradley <P.Bradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 20:55:30 +0000
Ysgrifennodd James Hatridge:
Its quite true that the source is available, but two questions.
#1 How can I know that the software that I install is the same as what the source is?
#2 How many of us Linux users would recognized a backdoor if he saw one?
JIM

#1. You screw your tin foil hat on very tight, and then you install from the sources.

#2. You don't reley on Linux users, you rely on the Linux programmers. They would recognise a back door if they saw one and many if not all of them would scream very loudly if they found one. Unless you believe that there is a conspiracy between the kernel developers and the NSA/MI6 or whatever. Remember lots of these guys aren't Americans.

But hey! If you want to believe they're out to get you, don't let me stop you.

Peter