Re: [opensuse] Which graphic card should I buy?
  • From: Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:43:24 -0600
On 1/11/07, ken <gebser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been using ATI with linux for decades and have always had fine
results. I'd note also that Macs also use ATI video cards and Apple is
quite well known for using quality hardware and, among other things, for
video their use in video production. And, as most people know by now,
the Mac OS X is pretty much all BSD, a close cousin to Linux.

That is true, but IMHO ATI are lacking some features:
1. XvMS support in their linux drivers (good for playing mpeg2 video
like HD using the GPU)
2. Better customer support. nVidia at least have forums and actually
they pretty often answer to user questions :)

And one BIG minus for ATI - their GUI installer. It happened to me to
try to install on 15" CRT monitor, and for some reason I was not able
to get more than 800x600 resolution. And ATI's GUI well gets out of
the screen, and you can not shrink it or anything. No access to the
buttons at all.

Sunny
--
Svetoslav Milenov (Sunny)