Re: [opensuse] Re: switching Firefox to manual updates check
  • From: Carl William Spitzer IV <cwsiv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:50:04 -0800
On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 11:36 +0100, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
> Hi,
> Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
>
> [...]
> >Since Firefox updates
> > wouldn't work in RPM installs it's deactivated by removing the menu item
> > but in some cases it still appears. It's just a cosmetic problem. The
> > box should be greyed out anyway since Firefox detects that it has no
> > write permissions in the installation directory.
> >
> This is not necessarily the case. Basically you can update firefox in rpm
> installs, as well. I did this multiple times, actually I did it anytime I
> thought the suse supplied updates were late ;-))
>
> What I do:
> Start firefox briefly as root:
> 1. sux -
> 2 . firefox
> 3. Enable the "update firefox" box within firefox preferences
> 3. Have it updated and have the updates written to the install directory
> (because you are root, this is not a problem).
> Beware: This is one of the rare occasions that you use the Internet as
> root!! So it is as dangerous as most windows installations are, but on a
> 24x7 basis ;-)
> 4. close firefox
> 5. Then restart firefox as normal user and have it updated in regard to
> extensions and themes.
> 6. Use your updated version of firefox

This seems the hard way. I update FF by installing their tar gz into a
user directory and test. If I am satisfied as root I move it over
to /usr/opt then as User I run whereis and convert the old FF to a link
to the new. Now users can handle their own extentions which are stored
in their local space.

Of course this is 9.2 soon to be 10.0.

Why is 10.2 making these things so difficult?

--