Re: [opensuse] Dumb question on networks and servers
  • From: David Mayr <dmayr@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:13:58 +0100
Hi Jay,

> So I want to use my Linux box to monitor network activity. Do I absolutely
> need to have the box be like a router that the other computers connect to
> or is just being on the network suitable to act as a server. In the past
> I've done routing but if I don't need to route in order to monitor, manage,
> and log network activity, that's awesome. [...]

If you want to monitor your network, the monitoring box needs to 'see' all the
traffic that you want to monitor. Some better switches have the ability to
set up one port in monitoring mode - this way all traffic (of computers
connected to this switch) will be duplicated to this port. Connect your
monitoring computer to this port and set up your monitoring software -
e.g. "ntop".

--
David Mayr, http://davey.de
openSUSE LINUX, http://opensuse.de