[opensuse] Re: Re: Updates
  • From: Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 13:54:29 +0100
Doug McGarrett wrote:

> On Monday 08 January 2007 15:30, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>> Doug McGarrett wrote:
>> >
>> > SuSE 9.3.
>> > This may or may not be related, I don't know. Every so often, I get a
>> > little pop-up in the bottom bar, that says that security updates are
>> > available. I go to YaST, and tell it to find the updates, and instead
>> > of security updates, it's got all sorts of things about communicating
>> > in Danish, or
>> > Chinese, or Korean, etc. (I certainly don't need updates in foreign
>> > languages I don't read or speak.) Where are these security updates,
>> > and how do I get them?
>> >
>> > thanx, guys. --doug
>>
>> ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/update/9.3/ could be a starting point.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Eberhard
>
> Thanx, Eberhard, but I am snowed. There are thousands of files here, and
> no reference to YaST installing any of them, and no way to tell which of
> them
> are security updates. (What, for instance, does abiword have to do with
> security?)
>
> --doug
well, as the suse policy is not to deliver newer versions for a given linux
release (ok, there are exceptions), except for security fixes and bug
fixes, you immediately know that any file there is meant either for
bugfixing or for security fixing, after all it is an update directory. ;-))
Now you most probably only want to update, what you have and you need to
decide which packages of those you have installed and which of those you
want to fix.
Following Marcus' advice this should be easy to do with yast. Otherwise you
can do it with rpm, for example.

In regard to abiword, I cannot see why abiword should not have a security
related bug. It is not uncommon for Office Suites to be buggy. This happens
frequently to MS-Office, it happens to OpenOffice.org, why should abiword
be bugfree in regard to security?

regards
Eberhard