Re: [opensuse] Network Manager??? (WiFi problem)
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:34:04 -0900
On Monday 08 January 2007 08:45, David Mayr wrote:
> > [...] Ot, how do I disable KnetworkManager and just use
> > ifup and ifdown?
>
> AFAIK, it should be sufficient to start the YaST LAN module and
> answer the first question "use Network Manager or traditional method with
> ifup/ifdown" appropriate.

Well Its not always sufficient David, because on multiple occasions
Knetworkmanager simply disappears, often leaving a gap in the
tray icons where it used to be. (Which is a sure sign it has zombied
and manual efforts are necessary).

Side rant:
Why s it that network manager must be exclusive, and can not
share duties with ifup/down. ESPECIALLY when its not proven,
and frequently un-reliable. I'm not aware of any other quasi-userland
utility that disables system level tools. Its positively un-posix.

--
John Andersen