Re: [opensuse] encrypted usb drives - fixed mount points
  • From: Philip Amadeo Saeli <psaeli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:04:49 -0800
* Dennis E. Slice <dslice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2007-01-07 18:32]:
> To summarize, I would like to either force the mounting of encrypted
> partitions on external USB drives to /dev/sda1, etc. Or, would like to
> be able to mount encrypted drives correctly without regard to their
> /dev/sdxx.
>
> Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Can someone point me toward
> a relevant discussion?

I have a number of FireWire drives attached to my laptop and have
encountered the same issue with them. What I do is to mount by the
drive ID like so (actual example entry from fstab):

/dev/disk/by-id/ieee1394-00050003e00121a4:0:0-part5 /q xfs noauto,noatime,nodiratime 0 0

BTW, the "/dev/disk/by-id/*" entries are symlinks to the actual "/dev/sd*"
entries.

You can also use the "/dev/disk/by-uuid/" links which are analogous to
the above but use the filesystem UUID instead. Don't know if this will
work with encrypted drives, though. The "by-id" entries are more
persistent anyway since they are based on the hardware ID of the disk
drive itself, not some transient information recorded on the disk.

One way to determine the hardware ID of the drive is via the command:

lsscsi -dgv

which will give you that and more information on the drive and where it
has been mounted via the hotplug system. Plugging in the drives one at
a time will help disambiguate which drive is which since both of yours
are identical models.

Hope this helps!

Phil

--