[opensuse] encrypted usb drives - fixed mount points
  • From: "Dennis E. Slice" <dslice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 13:31:53 -0500
Hi, All.

I have been using an external WD 120GB USB drive, and have just added a
WD320 MyBook. To upgrade my overall security, I formatted the latter as
an encrypted drive using the SUSE partition manager. I like it, and am
thinking of getting a matching drive so I can have a data drive and a
backup - WD320A and WD320B.

The problem I have is that I cannot anticipate where the different
drives will be attached during boot up - /dev/sda1, /dev/sdb1. If these
change, and they do, my mount points become useless.

For unencrypted drives, I have found that one can mount by label in
/etc/fstab, e.g., LABEL=WD320A, and can set the label using the SUSE
partitioning program.

I cannot, however, find a similar procedure for encrypted partitions -
you cannot, apparently, specify a label for an encrypted drive/partition
with the provided partition program.

I have searched a bit, but can find no solution on the web or news groups.

To summarize, I would like to either force the mounting of encrypted
partitions on external USB drives to /dev/sda1, etc. Or, would like to
be able to mount encrypted drives correctly without regard to their
/dev/sdxx.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Can someone point me toward
a relevant discussion?

OS: SUSE 10.0

TIA
--