[opensuse] probably OT: why xorg don't run getconfig when starting?
Hello. From xorg manual it's being said xorg will try to use getconfig
if it cannot find an xorg.conf config file. here is the quotes:
Starting with version 4.4, Xorg has a mechanism for
automatically generating a built-in configuration at run-time
when no xorg.conf file is present. The current version of this
automatic configuration mechanism works in three ways.
[...]
The second is to use an external utility called getconfig(1),
when available, to use meta-configuration information to
generate a suitable configuration for the primary video device.
The meta-configuration information can be updated to allow an
existing installation to get the best out of new hardware or to
work around bugs that are found post-release.

Now I wish to set up a SuSE installation with my configuration for
getconfig (because I got some special situation that normal xorg.conf
doesn't fit), but SuSE's xorg seems to ignore getconfig.

A.k.a. a normal xorg should start with this message:
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Sep 24 07:34:55 2006
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
xf86AutoConfig: Primary PCI is 0:15:0
Running "/usr/X11R6/bin/getconfig -X 60900000 -I /etc/X11,/usr/X11R6/etc/X11,/usr/X11R6/lib/modules,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/getconfig -v 0x15ad -d 0x0405 -r 0x00 -s 0x15ad -b 0x0405 -c 0x0300"
exec: perl: not found
(==) Using default built-in configuration (43 lines)

However SuSE 10.2's xorg start with this message:
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jan 7 21:11:37 2007
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(==) Using default built-in configuration (55 lines)

see, the section of looking for getconfig is completely ignored. So, if
I want getconfig feature back, what can I do? Should I recompile xorg
from source from official xorg distribution? Should I simply add some
parameter to X to re-enable getconfig (manual didn't say this works)?

Thanks for any advice!