[opensuse] Remote sessions on SuSE - observations and plea for ideas!
  • From: Moby <moby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 12:00:54 -0600
Here is a summary of the various remote session options I can find in OpenSuSE 10.2, the pros and cons of each, and what I (and I believe many others) would like to have. If anyone has either new ideas or perhaps a way to implement the options I mention below in a way that overcomes the drawbacks I see with them, please share :)

1) Console remote control options: Done either using the "Remote Control" options in SAX or Yast or by using x11vnc. This allows one to remote control the GUI on the console (the one accessible via physically attached keyboard and monitor) from other machines using VNC. This also allows clipboard redirection. Some drawbacks are that audio dos not get redirected, and that there is no way to "lock" the physical console while one accesses it remotely, thereby allowing someone present at the physical machine to see, and possibly interfere, with what one does remotely.

2) FreeNX: This allows one to create a remote desktop session, allows the session to be disconnected and then reconnected at a later time. This is available on multiple platforms as well, and so far at least, seems to be the best method available from a performance perspective. The main issue I see with this is that the FreeNX client on Linux, even when configured to view the remote host in Full Screen mode, still does not occupy the full screen. When I run the FreeNX client on Windows, full screen mode does indeed fill up the whole screen. However, running the FreeNX client on Linux in full screen mode (at least in Gnome) still leaves the Gnome menu panel visible on the machine being used to do the remote control from.

3) VNC: This is available in various incarnations, tightvnc, realvnc, and I am sure many others. This allows one to setup remote desktops on machines, and access them remotely via VNC. Has all the advantages on option (1), plus the added bonus that nothing shows up on the physical console. The issue I have with this is that VNC seems to hook into the machine's video at a low level, and that breaks some applications. Namely, mplayer does not work (it used to with SuSE 10.1 !) in a VNC session, complaining about being unable to initialize the video driver.

Has anyone been able to fix the issues I see with each of the methods I list above? and hopefully been able overcome them? Any thoughts or ideas will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
--Moby