Re: [opensuse] Newbie with thicker skin
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 06:39:28 -0600
On 2007-01-06 06:27, Niels Øtergaard Kjær wrote:
> Darryl Gregorash wrote:
> > On 2007-01-06 03:46, Niels Øtergaard Kjær wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >> Have the next headache ahead when I have to bump into the Linux Wall
> >> again : how to setup network with samba to connect to 2 PC's running
> >> windows and 2 machines running Linux. Think someone send an email with
> >> a link to something like "perfect setup network" ?? please resend.

<snip>

I forgot to mention printers. The best way to network printers is with
CUPS, even for your Windows machines. WinXP certainly, and I think 2K
also, can connect directly to a networked CUPS printer. (If you are
still using 98, then you can get a driver from the internet, but I don't
know precisely where just now.) The option is "Unix style printer" in
the Win printer configuration. Only if you need to connect to a printer
installed on a Windows machine will you need to use Samba (I think, I've
never tried this from a Linux system).