Re: [opensuse] Newbie with thicker skin
  • From: Darryl Gregorash <raven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 05:58:20 -0600
On 2007-01-06 03:46, Niels Øtergaard Kjær wrote:
> <snip>
> Have the next headache ahead when I have to bump into the Linux Wall
> again : how to setup network with samba to connect to 2 PC's running
> windows and 2 machines running Linux. Think someone send an email with
> a link to something like "perfect setup network" ?? please resend.
Install the samba-doc rpm if you haven't already. Then connect to
http://localhost:901 (SWAT, the Samba Web Administration Tool) and read
the documentation there. Before you do this, you will need to add a
samba administrator using smbpasswd (man 8 smbpasswd). The user must
already exist in the system password file, but you do not need to use
that user's system password for samba.

You can also read the Samba user guide, at
/usr/share/doc/packages/samba/htmldocs/Samba-Guide/index.html; it's
pretty good.

>From SWAT, you can configure virtually everything you need to run a
samba server. Off the top of my head, there is just one other thing you
need to take care of elsewhere, and that is to allow the needed ports in
the firewall. You need to allow these:

FW_SERVICES_INT_TCP="microsoft-ds netbios-dgm netbios-ns netbios-ssn"
FW_SERVICES_INT_UDP="netbios-ns"
FW_ALLOW_FW_BROADCAST_INT="netbios-ns"

The easiest place to set these is in Yast's sysconfig editor.