Re: [opensuse] Sound Level Much Too Low
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 17:39:27 +1100
Felix Miata wrote:
On 2007/01/06 00:04 (GMT-0500) Charles philip Chan apparently typed:

On 5 Jan 2007, mrmazda@xxxxxx wrote:

10.2 sound is about 10% (at most) of the volume level of XP, and has a
loud hum if I turn the volume up enough to actually hear anything.

Check your PCM volume.

Thanks. That was around 60-66%. I turned it all the way up. That made a
big improvement. After also turning everything else up all the way, I
have to guess the output level and quality are now up to about 1/3 of
XP. I give a grade of B+ to XP, D to SUSE. Is there anything else to
dial it up more?

Do you have alsamixergui installed? If not then do so, run it and make sure that LINE is activated (ie, click on it, bottom, and after it turns grey use the up-arrow to increase the level). Might as well check all the other levels while you have the mixer opened.

Cheers.