Re: [opensuse] Problems installing 10.2 on 256 mb system
  • From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:35:10 -0700
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Torvald Bringsvor wrote:
> I have a P4 system with 256 Mb of RAM. I start the
> installation from CD, and then direct it to install
> from HTTP. Then the installer says that I don't have
> enough RAM to run yast2, and it asks me to add a swap
> partition. I have made a swap partition on the
> harddrive, so I add it. Then I do the usual stuff, and
> the installation starts to format the disks, and then
> things go haywire: it can't mount the swap. The
> message says that it can't find the mount point
> 'swap', but the debug message lists the mount command,
> and that seemingly tries to do mount -t ntfs !!
>
> Is this a known problem? What can I do about it?

I did an installation on a system with only 128 MB. Because of ZMD you
have to have about 512 MB to install if you do not have a swap space. I
create a swap space on the disk by using <ctr><alt><F2> and fdisk then
back to <ctr><alt><F7> to continue. You can install as long as you have a
swap space. I usually create a 100-500 MB win32 partition then a
750MB-1GB swap partition. The my ntfs and other partitions.

Good Luck,

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@xxxxxxxxx>