Re: [opensuse] Sending mail via my ISP relay using sendmail
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:20:50 +0100
Paul Abrahams wrote:
On Friday 05 January 2007 3:48 pm, Sandy Drobic wrote:

Here's your problem.

From "man sendmail":

-F full_name
Set the sender full name. This overrides the NAME environment
variable, and is used only with messages that have no From: mesâ
sage header.

-f sender
Set the envelope sender address. This is the address where
delivery problems are sent to. With Postfix versions before 2.1,
the Errors-To: message header overrides the error return
address.

You need to set the envelope address.

sendmail -f abrahams@xxxxxxx abrahams@xxxxxxx

Thanks much, Sandy. That was the key -- but I'm not quite there yet. The lines:

suillus:~ # sendmail -f abrahams@xxxxxxx -F abrahams@xxxxxxx abrahams@xxxxxxx
xxxyz
.

caused me to receive the following message:

From: "abrahams@xxxxxxx" <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
xxxyz

So I'm getting mail at last -- but the "from" and "to" aren't there.

Of course not, where should they have come from? (^-^)
The full smtp dialogue would look like this:

> client
server response
#
# comment from me (^-^)
#
> telnet smtp.comcast.net 25
Trying 216.148.227.147...
Connected to smtp.comcast.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 comcast.net - Maillennium ESMTP/MULTIBOX rwcrmhc11 #9

> ehlo japantest.homelinux.com

250-comcast.net
250-7BIT
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
250-DSN
250-HELP
250-NOOP
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 15728640
250-STARTTLS
250-VERS V05.20c++
250 XMVP 2

> auth plain dGVzdHVzZXIAdGVzdHVzZXIAdGVzdHBhc3M=

235 2.0.0 Authentication successful

> mail from:<abrahams@xxxxxxx>

250 2.1.0 Ok

#
# Up to here we transmitted the smtp envelope.
# This is NOT what you see in your mail!!

DATA

354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>

#
# This is the mail you actually see in your mailreader
#
# Part 1 is the mail header
#
# Part 2 is the body of the mail