Re: [opensuse] Sending mail via my ISP relay using sendmail
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 21:48:18 +0100
Paul Abrahams wrote:

What did Postfix log about that? "didn't work" is not very helpful. (^-^)
The logs show exactly what happened.

Here are two commands and all the log entries that result from them. Note that I used a comcast address instead of an acm.org address as the sender the second time. It did not help.

suillus:~ # sendmail -F abrahams@xxxxxxx abrahams@xxxxxxx
ok, again
.
suillus:~ # sendmail -F pwabrahams@xxxxxxxxxxx pwabrahams@xxxxxxxxxxx
test it once more.
Jan 5 13:18:07 suillus postfix/pickup[9982]: A6BE89CE00: uid=0 from=<root>
Jan 5 13:18:07 suillus postfix/cleanup[9996]: A6BE89CE00: message-id=<20070105181807.A6BE89CE00@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Jan 5 13:18:07 suillus postfix/qmgr[9981]: A6BE89CE00: from=<root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, size=314, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Here's your problem.

From "man sendmail":

-F full_name
Set the sender full name. This overrides the NAME environment
variable, and is used only with messages that have no From: mesâ
sage header.

-f sender
Set the envelope sender address. This is the address where
delivery problems are sent to. With Postfix versions before 2.1,
the Errors-To: message header overrides the error return
address.

You need to set the envelope address.

sendmail -f abrahams@xxxxxxx abrahams@xxxxxxx

Sandy