Re: [opensuse] Sending mail via my ISP relay using sendmail
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:31:02 +0100
Paul Abrahams wrote:
On Friday 05 January 2007 6:32 am, Carlos E. R. wrote:
The Friday 2007-01-05 at 00:28 -0500, Paul Abrahams wrote:
I'm trying to send mail through my ISP using sendmail (postfix under the
covers). I have to use sendmail because the actual application is the
PHP5 "mail" command, and that command uses sendmail. My ISP requires a
username and password to accept the relay; this protocol goes under the
name of SMTP AUTH.

How can I track down the reason the mail isn't arriving?

Aha! The log contains this:

Jan 5 10:46:59 suillus postfix/smtp[7947]: 15FEE9CE00: to=<abrahams@xxxxxxx>, relay=smtp.comcast.net[206.18.177.17]:25, delay=7.1, delays=6.5/0.02/0.42/0.16, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host smtp.comcast.net[206.18.177.17] said: 550 [PERMFAIL] acm.org requires valid sender domain (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I took the suggestions of several other people and still get this result:

Joachim Schrod suggested changing the sendmail call to something like this:

sendmail -t -v