Re: [opensuse] Sending mail via my ISP relay using sendmail
  • From: Sandy Drobic <suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 18:16:32 +0100
John Andersen wrote:
On Thursday 04 January 2007 20:28, Paul Abrahams wrote:
I'm trying to send mail through my ISP using sendmail (postfix under the
covers). I have to use sendmail because the actual application is the
PHP5 "mail" command, and that command uses sendmail. My ISP requires a
username and password to accept the relay; this protocol goes under the
name of SMTP AUTH.

Using kmail, I have no trouble sending mail. In fact, using the Linux mail
command I have no trouble either, thought the (ISP smtp URL,username,
password) triplet must be specified in ~/.mailrc. I've gotten a procedure
for providing the triplet to sendmail, but my test messages never arrive.

According to the docs I've looked at, I need to put a line like this in the
file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd:

Are you sure you need to deal with sasl? Its mostly for receiving
mail.

sasl is for authentication. If the relayserver requires authentication, then you need sasl for smtp. The parameters for the sending client "smtp" and the receiving server "smtpd" can be configured separately.

Default values are:

smtp client:
# postconf -d | grep smtp_sasl
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter =
smtp_sasl_password_maps =
smtp_sasl_path =
smtp_sasl_security_options = noplaintext, noanonymous
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtp_sasl_security_options
smtp_sasl_tls_verified_security_options = $smtp_sasl_tls_security_options
smtp_sasl_type = cyrus

smtpd server:
# postconf -d | grep smtpd_sasl
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = no
smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks =
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtpd_sasl_security_options
smtpd_sasl_type = cyrus

Sandy
--
List replies only please!