[opensuse] ldap users get "Permissions on the password database may be too restrictive" when logging in locally but still gets in
  • From: Peter Sjoberg <peters-opensuse@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 12:04:39 -0500
I just updated my desktop from OpenSuSE 10.1 to 10.2 and after update I
get an annoying message when I login or unlock the gui session.

Welcome to openSUSE 10.2 (X86-64) - Kernel 2.6.18.2-34-default (tty5).

picard login: peters
Password:
Permissions on the password database may be too restrictive.
Last login: Fri Jan 5 11:27:22 EST 2007 from sisko.intra.techwiz.ca on
pts/12
Have a lot of fun...
peters@picard:~$

Why is it complaining about permission but still makes it's way in
(everything works fine ones logged in). Since the message is before the
"Last login:" part I take it that /etc/profile etc isn't involved in
creating it.
This only happens when I login locally (CLI or GUI) and when I unlock
the locked screen. When I ssh in over network it's no permission issue.
The only local account is root and that does not give the error.

I looked around a little in /etc/pam.d and lots of things have changed
since 10.1 but I'm not skilled enough to guess what to change, can
anyone else give a hint?