Re: [opensuse] test of sending to list using TEXT not HTML
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 07:48:12 -0800
On Friday 05 January 2007 07:32, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2007/01/05 07:11 (GMT-0800) Randall R Schulz apparently typed:
> > On Friday 05 January 2007 04:33, Joachim Schrod wrote:
> >> Because HTML emails tend to be much larger (again, not all of are
> >> on broadband all of the time).
> >
> > Can you quantify that? 'Cause I don't believe that a few font
> > variations have a significant bloating effect on message body size.
>
> You can answer that yourself by viewing source on an outhouse excess
> message. They are sent as multipart mime, which means there are two
> copies of the actual content, plus the multipart overhead, plus the
> actual HTML markup, which can be considerable, plus the common
> malware binary attachment.

This is a straw-man argument, and hence a fallacy.

I'm not advocating markup-laden messages. I'm not advocating using bad
software (and Outlook is bad software--clearly if your opinion of it is
such that you'd call it "outhouse," then you're not using it, so it's
not even relevant).

I'm just maintaining that simple typographic variation is something we
should be able to use in email communication.

Since the whole point is that on a message-by-message and
recipient-by-recipient basis styled email is a good thing, you can
choose whether to send both the plain and styled forms (if your mail
client is any good). And why on earth would you send someone malware?

I say, "HTML mail is OK." And everyone hears "Use all HTML, all the time
in every venue and with the worst of all possible characteristics,
including malware attachments."

Please don't impute your own prejudices into my argument.

Remember, the statement to which I objected is this:

> Please don't ever send someone or anyone you might like, HTML e-mail.

Do you seriously think I'm advocating sending people with whom you
communicate directly malware attachments and email that is so laden
with markup that its two or three times as big as the plain text
content it bears? I am not.

> Felix Miata

Randall Schulz