Re: [opensuse] Sending mail via my ISP relay using sendmail
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 01:20:17 -0900
On Thursday 04 January 2007 20:28, Paul Abrahams wrote:
> I'm trying to send mail through my ISP using sendmail (postfix under the
> covers). I have to use sendmail because the actual application is the
> PHP5 "mail" command, and that command uses sendmail. My ISP requires a
> username and password to accept the relay; this protocol goes under the
> name of SMTP AUTH.
>
> Using kmail, I have no trouble sending mail. In fact, using the Linux mail
> command I have no trouble either, thought the (ISP smtp URL,username,
> password) triplet must be specified in ~/.mailrc. I've gotten a procedure
> for providing the triplet to sendmail, but my test messages never arrive.
>
> According to the docs I've looked at, I need to put a line like this in the
> file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd:

Are you sure you need to deal with sasl? Its mostly for receiving
mail.

It would seem that it would be easier to configure postfix as relay
host, relaying to your ISP. That you can do with yast. Just
check some boxes, and Bob's your Uncle.

Then your PHP5 would only need to use sendmail to connect to
localhost (your own postfix) and have it send the mail by what ever
means.

This is the way I often configure Kmail, because it sends instantly,
without having to wait for it to make a connection etc. Let Postfix
do the grunt work in the back ground.