Re: [opensuse] Beryl and openSUSE 10.2 AMD64 and nVidia
  • From: Tim Gollnik <Tim.Gollnik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:12:07 +0100
Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2007 14:43 schrieb Martin Mielke:
> Hi there!
>
> after reading this thread and taking a look at my system (also openSuSE
> 10.2 on AMD64) I'm considering installing Beryl and give it a try...
> Anyway, what keeps me from doing it is: how do I revert to the previous
> state?? is it as simple as deleting the links created as described on
>  http://en.opensuse.org/Beryl#Making_Beryl_start_automatically ??
>
> ln -s /usr/bin/beryl-manager ~/.kde/Autostart/beryl-manager
> ln -s /usr/bin/beryl ~/.kde/Autostart/beryl
>
> Would the Beryl setup interfere somehow with the nVidia drivers?? Right now
> everything is working just fine openGL-wise: GL-screensavers, googleEarth,
> etc  and I'd be rather in an "I-wanna-kill-somebody"-mood if it breaks
> because of the Beryl setup...
>
> Any hints from your experiences??
>
> TIA,
> Martin

If you choose Xgl, you will experience performance and quality issues when
using 3D applications like googleearth or ut2004. I would suggest using
NV-GLX (or AIGLX, with which i have no experience, though). These use
the "normal" X server, so if you choose another window manager, for instance
kwin, you'll get the system as before, even when running because
beryl-manager lets you choose the window manager while running X (and KDE).

Another additional tip: create another (two) session type(s) following the
instructions under "Eine Lösung, die für beide..." from here:

http://de.opensuse.org/Beryl

(german) or here:

http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=28796&hl=xsession+beryl

(english)

(And don't use aquamarine, it does not work (yet), unfortunately.)

So you can choose to use beryl or not at login.

If it doesn't run instantly you may have to run beryl manually as described in

http://de.opensuse.org/Beryl

and/or restart KDE a few times (i had to, and now it works fine, as expected)

Another issue: frozenbubble mutates to frozensystem if beryl is running, so
choose kwin before starting frozenbubble! So you should before changing to a
console (and back to KDE!).

Don't start more than one session with beryl at once, it does not work (here).

But for example: i started a local NX session as another user with multimedia
support and another on testdrive.nomachine.com, and i started frozenbubble on
the "local" remote NX session, all under beryl (with emerald). All live on my
hexagon build of six viewports, rotating as i'm dragging with the mouse.
Incredible!

( Doch Achtung! Shift-F9 gibt Wasserschaden!!!!! ;-) )

So i agree: go ahead!

Best wishes

Tim