[opensuse] Sending mail via my ISP relay using sendmail
  • From: Paul Abrahams <abrahams@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:28:56 -0500
I'm trying to send mail through my ISP using sendmail (postfix under the
covers). I have to use sendmail because the actual application is the
PHP5 "mail" command, and that command uses sendmail. My ISP requires a
username and password to accept the relay; this protocol goes under the name
of SMTP AUTH.

Using kmail, I have no trouble sending mail. In fact, using the Linux mail
command I have no trouble either, thought the (ISP smtp URL,username,
password) triplet must be specified in ~/.mailrc. I've gotten a procedure
for providing the triplet to sendmail, but my test messages never arrive.

According to the docs I've looked at, I need to put a line like this in the
file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd:

smtp.comcast.net theuser:xxx

I then need to hash that file to create another
file, /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd.db, using the "postmap" program. Finally, I
need to insert these lines in the main.cf file that provides postfix with its
configuration:

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =

The configuration file seems to be located in the directory /etc/postfix.

I then need to reload postfix with the command

postfix reload

I've done all that and I get no error messages -- but no mail arrives when I
issue the command

sendmail abrahams@xxxxxxx
this is a test message
.

How can I track down the reason the mail isn't arriving?

Paul