Re: [opensuse] Connecting PPTP VPN
  • From: Herbert Graeber <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 22:48:56 +0100 (MET)
Am Donnerstag, 4. Januar 2007 20:28 schrieb James Knott:
> Herbert Graeber wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2006 19:56 schrieb James Knott:
> >> I'm trying to set up a PPTP VPN to a customer's site, using SUSE 10.2,
> >> however, I'm not having much luck making sense of how to do it. Does
> >> anyone have surefire instructions for doing this?
> >
> > I have put a package for NetworkManager-pptp into the SUSE Build Service.
> > Have a look at
> >
> > http://software.opensuse.org/download/home:/hgraeber/
> >
> > It integrates PPTP support into NetworkManager similar to the openvpn
> > support already deliverd with the Distribution.
> >
> > Give it a try.
>
> I have installed it, but don't see anything in NetworkManager for
> configuring a PPTP VPN. Is there something I'm missing? I've tried it
> on two different computers.

In knetworkmanager there is a submenu "VPN Connections". There You can
choose "Configure VPN...". This starts a GNOME Dialog where you can manage
VPN connections. Here you can press the "Add" Button (maybe it has an other
name, here it is german, even when I have configured an english desktop) to
add a new VPN and a wizard will be run where you can choose "pppd" tunnel
(PPTP, BTGRPS, Dialup)". On the next page you can enter you VPNs name, choose
the VPN type PPTP and enter the PPTP gateway you want to connetc to. On the
following pages you can enter additional parameters.

After defining a VPN you can start it from knetworkmanager using the
submenu "VPN Connections" / "Connect to <your connetcion name>".

Maybe you are using a GNOME desktop. This should work similar, because
knetworkmanger is desinger closely after GNOMES NetworkManager Menu.

BTW, you should look if you need a newer version of my RPM, because the first
version had some problems because of some patch borrowed from ubuntu that
should remove BTGPRS and Dialup support.

Cheers,
Herbert