Re: [opensuse] Smart failes to upgrade amarok
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:04:07 +0100
Pascal,

>>> Reply on 03-01-2007 10:56:19 <<<
> > error: file /usr/lib/libmad.so.0.2.1 from install of
> > mad-0.15.1b-1.pm.3 conflicts with file from package
> libmad-0.15.1b-2.0
>
> Where did you get "lidmad" from ?
> That's definitely not an RPM for SUSE Linux.

I would say that is quiet an arrogant way or a reply. There is MORE
repositories on the market than PackMan and Guru. For some reasons, the
videolan project decided to have it's own control over RPMs for
openSUSE. Probably due to some reports from users which were not
satisfied with the packages, be it for features or for whatever. As you
might know, on their website was written that they were looking for a
packager... but for the meantime get the one from Dennis Quentin
(packman). This changed and there are now official rpms at videolan.org.
Just because something is not comming from packman and/or guru does NOT
Mean it is not an RPM for SUSE Linux. The chosen name 'libmad' reflects
exactlz what is inside the package.

So: start looking forther than your nose. And help users in a
constructiv way. Not everybody wants to have their system killed / in an
unsupported way by adding a repo that replaces system libs (like alsa
for example). There are users that would like to stay on the 'supported'
level.

Ever tried to report a bug against suse and then it comes that a system
lib was replaced? Forget about the report immediate. will most likely
end up in a 'works for me' . Don't misunderstand me: I appreciate the
huge collection of rpm's at packman and guru and I happen to install
some packages from there too. But under no circumstances I would like
to have these repos as full featured in my update repos.

Dominique