Re: [opensuse] Changing users temp folder
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 18:07:42 +0100 (CET)

The Tuesday 2007-01-02 at 23:14 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

> OK, I've "un-preferenced" my Firefox back to its dreary basic self :-) and
> tested on a pdf file and I see what you mean by the pdf file going into /tmp
> when simply viewed by Acroread (but why one would view a pdf file and not save
> it on the spot but rather go thru the convoluted process of saving it LATER is
> beyond me - but I wont argue :-) ;

Fingers are sometimes faster than the mind, you know ;-)

Dunno. Sometimes I do one way, others the other way. I'm not that
consistent.

> seems to me it makes more sense to save it
> first and if you don't want it then delete it.).
>
> Further, this file has been sitting in /tmp for some 22+ hours now and hasn't
> (quickly) disappeared as was suggested that it would.

I thought it would, but maybe not. Maybe it has to be purged by the /tmp
system purge script, which by default deletes after 180 days.

> Also, as I mentioned, this pdf file - as everything FF "sees" on the 'net - is
> sitting in the FF Cache so there are actually 2 copies of this same pdf file
> sitting on the HD although the file name in the Cache is not the same.

What? :-O

Are you positive of that? Seems a bug to me. Why would they do it that
way? Maybe the cache is the copy for FF, the other one is for the plugin.
I've no idea.

> However, if you use konqueror and look inside the Cache, konqueror identifies
> all the files there by their type - ie, it identifies files as pdfs, HTMLs,
> gifs, jpgs, etc etc. so it was/is easy to find and copy the pdf file I was
> playing around whereever I wanted. And because I have made my Cache big
> (200MB) it will be for some days yet.

Yes, sometimes I look in there, using command line "file" to find a file
that right-click refuses to download, like google map tiles ;-)

I knew that conqueror has that ability, just it didn't occur to me using
it.

> Cheers.

- --
Cheers,