[opensuse] PCTEL 2304WT v.92 MDC Modem on Dell Laptop
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 10:28:43 -0500
The sticker on the bottom says Latitude C510/C610, but in messing with
this thing (not mine, bought used by its current clueless owner) I've
also seen indications this might be a C640.

It was given to me to "fix" the modem under W2K, when his original
problem was a screwed up ISP with non-working phone numbers. He deleted
files for inexplicable reasons only he understands in typical clueless
fashion, causing the modem to be driverless.

I tried for a while to figure out how to install a good driver, but
without success, as it seemed the system was overwhelmed with junkware.
So I decided to start clean by repartitioning dual boot. First I
installed XP using a Dell OEM CD. That install went nicely, except if
failed to find a modem driver. I tried the driver on the M$ updates
site, but that didn't work. Then I used the Dell service tag number to
find one, and it gave me a selection of different modem possibilities. I
tried one or two of those without success, so proceeded to install 10.0
from the boxed DVD I bought.

10.0 install went nicely, and when done, the modem worked. So I tried
again with XP, and managed to find a driver that does work. Then I
decided he should have the latest SUSE, and did a clean HTTP install of
10.2. Now it has no modem under SUSE. :-(

lspci says the following about it:
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem Controller (rev
02) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
Subsystem: PCTel Inc Dell Inspiron 2100 internal modem
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
I/O ports at d400 [disabled] [size=256]
I/O ports at dc00 [disabled] [size=128]

Why wasn't 10.2 smart enough to install a working modem driver? Is this
a proprietary software thing, a driver included on the boxed 10.0 DVD,
omitted from the free editions? Can this be easily fixed after adding
the packman & guru sources? Anyone using one of these laptops who can
provide a short course on getting the right driver installed?

TIA
--
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409