Re: [opensuse] Smart failes to upgrade amarok
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 23:28:47 +1100
Mark Goldstein wrote:
On 1/1/07, Pascal Bleser <pascal.bleser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Where did you get "lidmad" from ?
That's definitely not an RPM for SUSE Linux.

As far as I could see it came from VLC player. Their repository for SuSE 10.2 is
http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/0.8.6/SuSE/10.2/i586

There is libmad-0.15.1b-2.0.i586.rpm there.
This is it's "info" (and the same is printed out by rpm -qi libmad):

NAME: libmad
VERSION: 0.15.1b
RELEASE: 2.0
SUMMARY: a high-quality MPEG audio decoder capable of 24-bit output
DISTRIBUTION:
VENDOR:
LICENSE: GPL
PACKAGER: Dominique Leuenberger <dominique-rpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
GROUP: System/Libraries
OS: linux
ARCH: i586
SOURCE RPM: libmad-0.15.1b-2.0.src.rpm
libMAD is a high-quality MPEG audio decoder capable of 24-bit output.

It looks like YaST somehow understands that it's the same library. I
saw that kb3 (from PackMan) also needs that library. I installed it
with YaST and have not got any conflict indication.

To check this I selected this amarok-1.4.4-108.guru.suse102@i686 in
YaST, and yes, it installed it without complaining. Now I see both mad
and libmad packages.
I guess it could be dangerous in some situations.

But I do like that YaST allows user to decide how to resolve the
conflict. I thought there could be such option in Smart, but could not
find it.

I think I also had a similar problem with something connected with amarok or at least something I downloaded from videolan.org and raised the query about my problem in the smart mail list. After I received the answer to my query I deleted the RPM I got from videolan.org and the problem disappeared.

You could go to the smart mail list archives and find the query I raised and the response I got.

Cheers.